Every athlete wants to be seen and appreciated, especially by someone as important as the referee. Treat every athlete in a respectful way, because everything that gives you attention grows. And get you back!
GIVING ATTENTION IS GETTING
– Also make contact with athletes during the game in small gestures: a smile, eye contact or a simple nod can do a lot.
– Inform an athlete who is in pain or angry, because athletes appreciate it when they feel heard.
– Also focus your attention on the more inconspicuous or quieter players, because from them you can expect a lot of mutual appreciation and respect.
– Show understanding for the different emotions of athletes. When the tension rises, emotions can run high and it is sometimes better to ask a question first, such as ‘What is going on?
– In case of disagreement, ask focused, but also open questions to athletes. For example ‘How can we prevent this from happening from now on?
Another part of bettering your game is impeccable communication with your team members, so you make the right choices and you don’t leave players waiting for too long. With football communication systems you can perfectly communicate and make sure you make the right calls, so athletes can enjoy the game as good as possible.